- I used Brach's Tiny Jelly Bird Eggs but think even smaller Jelly Belly type beans would be a better size.
- Fruit flavors would be best.
- I used a cookie scoop that makes 3" cookies. I think that's too big for these cookies, I suggest using a Tblsp measuring spoon. They would bake faster and the jelly beans won't crackle and melt as much.
Jelly Bean Cookies-from Taste of Home
1/2 C shortening
3/4 C sugar
2 Tblsp milk-I used Half and Half
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C A/P flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt-I just added a little pinch
3/4 C small jelly beans, reserve some to push into the top of cookies-the smaller the better
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Mix in egg, milk and vanilla.
- Mix dry into wet.
- Stir in jelly beans, reserving some to push into top of cookies
- Drop by Tblsp onto cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until cookies begin to brown on the bottom.
- Cool on pans 2 minutes, remove to rack and cool completely.