Friday, May 9, 2014

Macaroni Salad with Ham, Peas and Dill

This Philly Girl seems to be dreaming of warmer weather BBQ's and picnics... I've been drawn to fun side dishes lately and this hearty salad is a good example of that. I had some leftover ham and as soon as I saw dill on the ingredient list, just had to whip up this Macaroni Salad with Ham, Peas and Dill. While I've added tuna to macaroni salad many times, ham and peas were different, and really good:@)
I have lots of random thoughts about this Food Network salad:
  • This is a great side dish and hearty enough for a main dish. The recipe is also easily reduced, I just made a bowl for lunch.
  • I wanted to try sour cream as something new in a salad and while it was fine, I'll stick to mayo.
  • The biggest complaints in the FN comments about this recipe: the amount of salt, vinegar, olive oil and mustard. I always say that's the great thing about cooking for ourselves, make it how you like it-you know your crowd! Cut back on the recipe and add these ingredients a little at a time to taste.
  • Love adding lots of extra cool, crunchy celery to summer salads.
  • Used dill weed, didn't have fresh. Simple rule of thumb, use about 1/3 of what's called for fresh (1 Tblsp fresh=1 tsp of dry). I suggest starting out with less and adding more to taste, especially for a strong herb like dill.
  • I used half whole wheat pasta. 
  • A little pinch of sugar never hurt anything:@)
  • You may have noticed I added the bacon label, I think it would be seriously good in this.
  • My biggest tip: I added a big ole heaping spoonful of sweet relish to the top of my bowl for lunch... I do highly recommend that!
Macaroni Salad with Ham, Peas and Dill-from Food Network
1/4 medium red onion, minced-I used a yellow onion
2 tsp kosher salt-adjust to taste
2 C dry elbow macaroni, cooked and run under cold water to chill
2 Tblsp milk-I didn't use this
2 Tblsp white wine vinegar-I added a splash of cider vinegar
1 Tblsp Dijon mustard-I added a little squirt
freshly ground black pepper
1/3 C olive oil-I did not add this
1/3 C sour cream-I used low fat
6oz ham, cut into cubes-I tossed in what I had
3/4 C frozen peas, thawed
2 ribs celery, diced-left mine in hearty slices
2 Tblsp fresh dill, chopped-I used dry
lots of sweet relish-optional-but recommended
~ Mix everything well and keep chilled until serving time-it can be that easy folks...
~ If you'd like more exact directions, how-to's and why's please see the FN link HERE.

Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

15 comments:

  1. Love the addition of dill in your summer salad Lynn, I just planted some this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't get enough dill! Love this recipe. Bring on summer picnics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dill always makes any dish seem more like spring and summer. After the winter you've had Lynn, you deserve lots of warm enjoyable weather.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was 91 degrees here yesterday. Woohoo!! I grew up on a similar salad and make it often--maybe tomorrow.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn,
    I love a macaroni salad, which was something that my Mom used to make, along with a great potato salad. I love the addition of dill and yep, relish adds the perfect garnish to mix in and enjoy. Having the ham in the salad makes for a hardy lunch (or dinner).

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have never been much of a cold pasta salad person. the only time i eat any is if i visit the souper salad buffet. then i HAVE to have some tuna skroodle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Macaroni salad and this looks like a great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Macaroni salad is right up near the top of salads that I like, and dill is one of my favorite flavors. Will have to give this one a try. Appreciate you comments and recommendations. I find that a mix of sour cream and mayo is sometime just right in macaroni and potato salads. Thanks of sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like the kind of salad that I would have seriously difficult time refraining myself from :) Happy Mother's Day Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed your random thoughts Lynn, especially about tasting and adjusting as you go~and yes, mayo not sour cream, and bacon please!!
    Happy Mother's Day~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those little baby green peas in a pasta salad. Sounds good for this weekend! Happy Mother's day my friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good. I love macaroni salad!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw your post a few days ago but didn't have time to comment. Since then I have taken the garden peas and the diced ham out of the freezer and have some egg noodles to boil up so I can try this. (fresh out of macaroni). See how you inspire me?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds really good. Hope you had a great Mother;s Day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so ready for summer and the great salads that we have in the good ole summertime. This is a great recipe Lynn! Thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great week!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!